AIP - Paleo Pumpkin Waffle with AIP Modifications
Paleo Pumpkin Waffles with AIP Modifications
I'm a firm believer in everyone being able to eat a waffle. Well, what I mean by that is no matter where we are on health journey I think we all deserve to feel normal. It can be challenging if you're on a restricted diet because of your health, especially when everyone around you can eat whatever the eff they want. I'll never forget in the midst of my strict AIP elimination phase how freaking AWESOME it felt to go out to dinner with my husband and my pal @sarieperrie. We went to a vegan restaurant in Denver where I got kombucha and a seasonal salad with a few adjustments. It helped me remember what it was like to feel normal and taught me that even in the depths of my illness and restrictive diet, I should make an effort to maintain bits of my old lifestyle. I went home immediately afterward (cuz chronic fatigue, ya know?), but the memory of how good it felt to get out has stuck with me.
Back to the waffles. How long have you been craving one on your paleo or AIP diet?
1/2 cup Ottos Cassava Flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 Vital Farms eggs (sub one gel egg for AIP)
1/4 cup water (Use boiled water and add one tablespoon at a time until you have a firm dough for AIP)
1/3 cup pumpkin
1 honey crisp apple
1 tsp fourth and heart ghee (coconut oil for AIP)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 can Aroy D full-fat coconut milk (refrigerated for 3-4 hours)
1 tbsp maple syrup
Instructions for waffles:
· Combine eggs, water, and pumpkin in a bowl (if making AIP version, add boiling water one tbsp. at a time during mixing as oppose to right now)
· In a separate bowl, combine cassava, almond or coconut flour and salt
· Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir to combine or add to your mixer.
· Place in waffle iron (I sometimes have to cook the AIP version a little longer)
Instructions for apples:
· Chop apples into chunks and sauté in ghee or coconut oil for about 2-3 minutes
· Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Instructions for coconut whip:
· Remove coconut milk from fridge. The coconut fat (white cream) should be kind of hard and separated from the clear coconut water
· Spoon the white coconut fat into a bowl with the maple syrup
· Using a hand mixture, blend until fluffy (about 20-30 seconds)